Question
Posted by: Kay | 2007/12/13

Maltese Poodle

My 10 year old little poodle has recently started biting her paws. The minute she sits down with me she starts licking and biting them. What is causing this? Should I rather take her to be checked out by the Vet? I don't think its fleas as we use "Frontline" on her and I haven't seen any fleas on her.

Fleas are unlikely to cause itchy feet. Grass seeds, yeast and bacterial infections and allergies are most likely causes and yuour vet will be able to tell you which is the most likely cause and how it should be treated.

3
Posted by: charms | 2007/12/21

Hello Kay

One of my Jack Russell's started doing exactly the same, to the point were I was expecting to see blood. I took him to the vet and was told that it was an allergy, but nothing was prescribed. I decided not to leave it there and went on an intense investigation to help my baby. I eventually started feeding them ProPac Holistic dry food and that was the only thing that seemed to have helped. He will still catch a lick every now and then, but at least he stopped licking continiously and biting.

Reply to charms
Posted by: Kay | 2007/12/14

Thanks for that insight Chill. My father passed away 2 1/2 months ago, he loved her so much and treated & spoilt her like his child. Maybe its because of that.

Reply to Kay
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/13

If there isn't a physical cause, then it could be a symptom of stress. If it is, then it's fairly important to see if you can alleviate this before the habit becomes entrenched, because otherwise she could set up a cycle of skin damage/irritation/infections.

If anything has changed in her environment, then maybe you can help her cope by making sure she has a safe place to retreat to - or, you could consider giving her a mild tranquilliser (either ask your vet, or use some tincture of valerian drops) for a week or so, just so she can settle.

But, as the cybervet says, first rule out a physical cause.

Reply to Chill