Question
Posted by: Bev | 2007/05/10

Male Labbie kicked by an intruder

Hi, I refer to the undermentioned, Male Labbie kicked by an intruder.
He is on Rimadyl 100mg, 1/2 tabs x2 a day and an antibiotic that looks like Rethcilh.
Yes he could just be in pain, he is a huge dog and I have never seen him cower for anyone. its very hard to watch.
I will certainly take him for further investigation if needs be.

Thanks. You can also check his gum colour. If her has internal injuries that have lead to bleeding he will be pale and may breathe more rapidly. Rimadyl is a good painkiller and the antibiotic will protect against bacterial infection. Hope he is recovering well. You will need to help him gain his confidence again and may need to take him back to dog school.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/12

Your first priority after this unfortunate incident is obviously to take care of his physical wellbeing, and you've had the cybervet's advice on that.

It's going to be harder to persuade him that the whole world isn't a scary place. Let him settle and get over the pain etc, but don't wait too long before taking him out in public again. You could, if he's fearful, give him some drops of Tincture of Valerian (chemist or health shop) an hour or so before you plan to expose him to something he may consider scary - for a big dog, about 20 drops or so in a tiny bit of water (use a syringe) should help calm him - he won't be drugged, and his alertness will be unimpaired, but it will take the edge off his fear. Put him on a lead, take him out, talk to him, don't let anyone approach too closely, watch him carefully and let him set the pace. Be sure to end each outing on a positive note - ie, if he IS afraid, settle him and soothe him before you take him back inside - you don't want him to think of inside as the only safe place. You'll need to be very patient, but he'll come right.

I know how you feel - seeing a big powerful dog cowering in fear is a very pathetic sight. My (late) adopted German Shepherd, who was a really magnificent huge wonderful dog, was afraid of absolutely everything when he came to me from the SPCA (who had found him, emaciated, running along Prince George Drive!) - but in time, he gained confidence and settled down beautifully - and I must say that that was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

You'll see your dog through this - just don't be in a rush. Best of luck.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2007/05/10

Bev I am so sorry to hear what happened to your dog.

This will probably sound silly but try telling him how you feel.
Tell him that he was brave to chase away the intruder, that you are so proud of him for doing a good job, that he is special and that you love him very much.
Use only positive words and a kind, positive tone.
Just an idea but it cannot do his psychi (sp?) any harm to tell him he did good and we all know what positive words can do to make you feel better.

Reply to Kate