Question
Posted by: Nick | 2007/04/18

Male Infertility

Kindly advise how one goes about getting tested on whether one is fertile or not.

Does one have to be referred to an expert by a GP? does one just rock up at a lab?, or can the testing be done by a GP? etc etc. How much could it cost, what is the degree of error in the tests used and how long is the process?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Dear Nick

The test has to be arranged with a laboratory through a general practitioner or can be done at fertility centre by prior notice. A period of 3-5 days abstinence is required and the specimen has to be collected and deposited at the laboratory within one hour. Also the manner in which the specimen is handled from collection is extremely important and this needs to be discussed with the nursing personnel or laboratory staff. Any significant fluctuation in temperature away from body temperature will negatively impact on the results and may lead to errors. Some laboratories do not require a referral and the sperm analysis can be arranged directly with them.

3
Posted by: Jo | 2007/04/19

I bought a test online - to give myself the chance to find out if there was a problem/not.....was also better doing it at home than at the dr's.....you can get them on a site called fertilitree - they deliver & were really helpful

Reply to Jo
Posted by: My mening! | 2007/04/19

My man was ook vir semen toetse,dit word enige dag by ons Pathcare gedoen en kos minder as R200 hier.Ek`s seker jy kan net die sample vir hulle vat en sê hulle moet dit na 'n uroloog van jou keuse stuur.Dan maak jy afspraak en gaan na hom wanneer toetse se uitslae reg is.Ander gaan jy na hom ,en dan vra hy jou eers uit en doen dan eers toetse.Waar jy tyd kan spaar(want dis maar senutergend) deur sommer klaar monsters in te stuur!

Sterkte

Reply to My mening!
Posted by: jay | 2007/04/18

You will have to be refered by a dr, I almost think your gp can do it for you. You also have to find out from the labs on what days they do the tests and what time. It costs about R600.
Hope that helps.

Reply to jay