Question
Posted by: TTC | 2007/02/20

Male Hormone

Hi Doctor
I went to see my gynae a few weeks ago as I am trying to conceive and have had very irregular and missed periods for about eight months now. He did an internal scan which showed my ovaries as having lots of black dots on them I was worried that I may have polycystic ovaries. I had blood tests for infertility and my doctor said they came back fine and that even though I have had very long cycles (more than 45 days) I had ovulated. He said his only concern was that my "male" hormone was quite high and out of the normal range but it did not cause him to much concern. He said he would like me to continue trying for a few months before we start hormonal treatments. But if all is ok with the blood tests and I ovulated why am I not falling pregnant? Could the high levels of the male hormone be a cause. What does the male hormone do - I am very confused. I don't know if this hormone is also the cause of my acne and weight gain?
Basically please explain the role the male hormone level plays in falling pregnant.
Thank you very much.

Testosterone, the male hormone, can cause hairiness and acne and is related to PCOS but, if you are ovulating, would not interfere with pregnancy. You do not necessary fall pregnant even if you ovulate. It may also be that you do not ovulate every cycle.