Question
Posted by: Jam | 2002/12/16

Male fertility - previous urinary tract operations

My fiance has had a previous urinary tract operation. From what he says, his urethra (not sure if that's the right one) had to be cut (reamed) along the length of his penis as it was too narrow and his bladder was not emptying when he urinated, causing major bladder infections. In addition his sperm has been rerouted through his bladder...... We are marrying in April 2003, and need to know what needs to be done / can be done regarding a reversal & if not, how would sperm be harvested from him if artificial insemination is neccesary?

Jam, I’m not sure if they will be able to repair the damage done by the surgery, but it’s worth a try. A good urologist will be able to help you (I can refer you to one in Pta, but otherwise ask your GP).
They can always aspirate the sperm directly from the testis and seminal vesicles, so you should be able to fall pregnant. Good luck.