Question
Posted by: problematic | 2005/12/14

Male Breasts

I am an overweight 17 year old. I have man boobs. Is this a product of me being overweight? Will they go away if i loose weight? What muscles do i exercise to get rid of them?

HI there

most likely it is. THere are some conditions that cause the distribution of fat in specific areas and a condition called gynecomastia can result from a number of different factors. However, if you are overweight, then losing body fat will help because the breast tissue is largely made up of fat tissue. So this will help, and I therefore encourage you to get into a regular exercise routine that will help you to lose some weight. It's also not a case of doing specific exercises, because the breasts are fat tissue, and not muscles, and so the focus must be on fat loss. Therefore regular cardiovascular exercise is important, like running, walking, cycling etc. Doing weight training, and things like bench presses, or even push ups may help slightly but the key is to lose fat.