Question
Posted by: Jnet | 2007/03/01

malarone

Good /Day
I wonder if you can help.
My son resides in Mozambique and has contracted malaria quite a few time now. The doc there has now received this drug and wants to give it to my son.
However my son has a liver enzyme deficiency GPCD6 and has not been able to use other anti malaria medication and when he gets malaria the only medication they can give him is doxycyclene and panado.
My question is where do I find out if he can take this malarone as apparently it s a newish drug they have received from europe.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hepatic Impairment: Malarone has not been specifically studied in patients with hepatic impairment.

The metabolic route of elimination of proguanil is via the liver. Atovaquone elimination is substantially liver dependent. Clinically significant accumulation of proguanil and atovaquone is unlikely given the short duration of treatment. To date, no special precautions or dosage adjustment for patients with hepatic impairment have been identified.

HOWEVER, YOU NEED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH YOUR DOCTOR PRIOR TO USE.