Question
Posted by: SHARKIE | 2008/01/28

MALARIA TABLETS: ANYONE

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW LONG IN ADVANCE MALARIA TABS MUST BE TAKEN? WE ARE GOING TO E-TVL 04TH FEB SO I GUESS WE SHOULD HAVE STARTED ALREADY OR IS IT NOT LIKE THE PILL FROM THE OLD DAYS?

Dear Sharkie
Depends on what you are taking. Ask your pharmacist - some of the new medications you only need to take a day or so in advance. ( it will be on the package insert)

6
Posted by: ponsoby | 2009/02/16

Are there any tablets one can take that don' t have the horrible side effects of nasty taste in your mouth, double vision and generally feeling awful? I have herd of Larium. Do these have nast side effects or is there a better one.

Thank you.

Reply to ponsoby
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/28

Thinking about it again - you would be ok with 1 box Malanil - 1 day before 4 while away and 7 when you come back = 12! But you decide! Why don't you try Dischem and see what their prices are?

Either way you need to start soon!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/01/28

I suggest you see your chemist and ask about options. You are only going 4 days, so the expensive one might not be that expensive. Also some of the malaria tablets have hectic side effects (ESPECIALLY Larium!!!!! You must read the insert before you take that!!), so if you are sensitive to meds, your pharmacist can advice you. I used cyclodox (something like that) and it made me feel nauseous (like vomiting), I then switched to mefliam (take once a week, start week before). Dont think it is expensive, but that is the only one that does not give me side effects (and I get side effects of everything except panado) :-) enjoy your trip!!! (My husband took Malanil on our last trip and it made him feel a bit sick)

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/28

My advise - go for Larium - check with pharmacist - you could get them to phone the gp for an over-the-phone script - they do that all the time - you could evey phone now and ask them to do it so that you can fetch it during your lunch time! Some pharmacists give it to you if they know you - but if you take Larium u need to start it today!

Have a good trip!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: SHARKIE | 2008/01/28

THX ANXIOUS, DO I HAVE TO GET A SCRIPT THOUGH? THAT'S MORE MONEY THEN FOR DOC'S LEVY & MONEY OFF MY BENEFITS JUST TO GET A SCRIPT? I THINK I'LL GO TO THE CHEMIST IN MY LUNCH BREAK TO HEAR WHAT THEY SAY. WOW, MALANIL IS VERY EXPENSIVE - I DONT THINK MY MED AID WILL COVER THAT! WE ARE ONLY GOING FROM THE 04TH TO 08TH FEB.

Reply to SHARKIE
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/28

How long are you going for? You can still be ok buying Larium - you have to take them 1 week before entering a malaria area - then 1 a week while in the area and 1 a week for 6wks thereafter. But you need a script and should start today preferably. Another option (VERY costly one mind you!) is of course Malanil. It costs about R440 for a 12 pill box - it is far more convenient because its far easier to remember and is for a far shorter time. You take 1 day before travel, 1 a day while in malaria area and 1 a day for 7 days thereafter - that's it. So you dont have the hassle of remembering for weeks after about taking the medication, which obviously is important. With all the rain around it is better to take it. Both above medications are available on medical aids. I dont know how much Larium is but you would need to start it within the next day or 2 not later.

I took Malanil when we visited Botswana & Zambia in Dec last year - I needed 17 pills - so I needed 2 boxes - no problem R926 it cost me - my chemist, of course, charges far higher prices than Discovery are prepared to pay and then of course you get that lovely 25% levy that still gets deducted - so I ended up paying something like a R320 levy! But I had to take it and am preserving the spares I have like gold - I still have 7 left!

Reply to anxious