Question
Posted by: Tess | 2004/11/16

Malaria symptoms but test negative

Doctors are stumped by the fact that my father has all the symptoms of malaria but the tests are negative; this is the 2nd occurrence which I’m aware of where the patient tests negative
Both the patients have been to Botswana and Zimbabwe in the last 2 months.

Symptoms are:
Fever
Dizziness
Profuse sweating
Fatigue
Headaches
A red rash on the face, neck and abdomen

They have tested for meningitis, tick fever, malaria, and urinal infections etc. all coming back as negative.
The other patient after 5 weeks still have fever bursts occurring normally early morning or late afternoon.
Are you aware of any outbreaks in SA or Africa with the same symptoms?
I know both Zim and Botswana had outbreaks of Anthrax, are the symptoms the same?

Tess, your father’s symptoms may fit in with almost any infectious disease. It is not uncommon for people to test negative for malaria if the person doing the test isn’t aware that the patient might have a different form of malaria than falciparum malaria.
Anthrax will have typical skin lesions and a history of contact with infected animals or their products is usually present. The best would be to take him to an infectious diseases specialist and let him sort t out for you. Good luck.