Question
Posted by: Jonathan | 2006/11/13

Malaria prophylaxis and porphyria

Hi there, I wonder if you can be of assistance. We are going on holiday to a new timeshare at the Kruger Park lodge, which is situated near Sabie. We are going for the last week in November, and I would like to know if I need to take Malaria tablets? If so, plese could you recommend a product for me, as I need one which is safe for porphyria. Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Jonathan

Dear Jonathan
Yes I would suggest taking Malaria prophylaxis - Malanil or Larium. Larium has more side effects and should not be used if you are on any drugs for depression or epilepsy etc.
See http://www.porphyria.uct.ac.za/common/common%20malaria.htm