Posted by: unsure | 2008/09/30

malaria prophylactic

we are preparing for our vacation in kruger park next month and my grandparents are coming with us. we have contacted the parks board with regards to malaria prohylactics but my grandfather is not aloud to take it due to a heart condition that he' s had since a young man i have heard that doxycycline can be used as an alternative. what is your opinion on this.

Dear Unsure
Yes he can take doxycycline Start 2 days before, continue during exposure and for 4 weeks thereafter.
Just ask his GP/pharmacist if the heart condition would exclude him from using Malanil - which may be easier to take. ( He can't take it if he is on Warfarin)
Anopheles mosquitoes bite at nights, with peak biting between 10pm and 4am and malaria transmission occurs at these hours. Ensure that he takes personal protective measures against mosquito bites at nights. Remaining in well-screened areas, using mosquito nets, and wearing clothes that cover most of the body are some simple but effective measures. In addition, mosquito repellents like N,N diethylmetatoluamide (DEET) can be used. It is better to have a pyrethrum-containing space spray to use in living and sleeping areas during evening and night hours.

Posted by: anxious | 2008/09/30

You can be sure to get reliable professional advice from any of Netcare' s Travel clinics - look for one in your area.

I am sure you will find branches of their cilnics on their website.

Reply to anxious