Question
Posted by: Bob | 2007/03/05

Malaria - prevention

My Pharmasist gave me Lariam to use as a prevention of Malaria as I am going to Zimbabwe in two weeks time. She told me to start taking the tablets 48 hours prior to leaveing to Zim. On the leaflet it states that I must start 1 week prior to leaveing. When must I start taking this tablets and is it only one tablet every week and when must I stop using it?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Bob, It's recommended that you start in the week prior to leaving - I'd say at least three days before entering the area. After that take it on the same day every week while you are in the area and for FOUR WEEKS AFTER RETURNING