Question
Posted by: Mimi | 2003/03/18

Malaria pills -- please advise!!!!

My son & girlfriend is off on a boat trip to the Mocambican islands. They are upset because they were told that the current malaria pills have all kinds of unpleasant side effects -- which you DON'T want on a pleasure trip! What is the best advice, as they are worried about malaria? What pills should they take, and when? Can they take a chance and not take any? Bazaruto is one of the islands on the cruise. Thanks!!!!

Mimi, the best would be for them to take an alternative like doxycycline daily. Good luck.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2003/03/19

Taking malaria pills when going to Mozambique is essential. We're going to Mozambique tomorrow for the long weekend and our doctor said Lariam is one of the best of the courses to take. I started taking it on Friday last week (for Lariam you have to take it a week before you go, during and for 4 weeks after your travel). The nice thing about Lariam is you only have to take it once a week and not every day like some of the other malaria pills. So far, so good, I have had no problems taking Lariam whatsoever. I believe you have to take an alternate form of pills from Lariam if you're a pilot. My brother has a private pilot's licence and says he can't take Lariam.

Seriously you cannot afford to take a risk not taking malaria pills when travelling to Mocambique. Our GP said he has had people still seriously ill with malaria on returning from Mozambique, even though they had religously taken their malaria pills.

Speak to the Netcare Travel Clinic at Sunninghill Hospital or Linksfield Clinic. They are extremely helpful and will provide you with all the information you need about travelling to Mozambique.

Reply to anxious