Question
Posted by: muffin | 2004/10/26

Malaria and ttc

We are thinking of trying for a second baby in November. Problem is we are going to mozambique and will be taking anti-malaria medication. Will it be wiser to only start trying when I have finished the full course?

Yes, best to wait till you have finished the course.

2
Posted by: KS | 2004/10/26

we went to Vic falls last year and my dr told me that I would have to wait for about 12 weeks before trying to conceive as the drugs were indeed harmful to a foetus. Yes you must check with your dr on how long you should wait b4 ttc and this will depend on the type of pills you are taking as some are stronger than the others.

Reply to KS
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/26

Dear Muffin,

I suggest you read the contra-indications on the anti-malaria medication pamphlet very carefully. If you have trouble understanding some of the terms contact your pharmacist for explanations. I think it says that pregnant woman should not take these profalactics. Also, I have heard about someone who fell pregnant while taking the meds but it resulted in an abnormal fetus.

Better to make sure and skip ttc that month until all the meds are out of your system.

Reply to Golly