Question
Posted by: Y | 2007/06/14

Malaria

Dear Cyberdoc,

I'm visiting the Kruger National Park next week - Satara & Shingwedzi. Usually I would not bother with malaria prophylaxis in June, but this year it has been very hot until late in the season, and there were also rain in the Kruger only a couple of weeks ago. As I understand it - the hotter and wetter - the more malaria mosquitoes buzzing around.

I live in the highveld, and two days ago I noticed a mosquito buzzing around in my living room - if they are still active in the highveld, they probably are also still active in the lowveld.

Would you recommend that I take malaria tablets this time, even though prophylaxis isn't usually neccessary in the winter months?

Dear Y
YES take prophylaxis, my next door neighbour just returned from the lowveld - with malaria!