Question
Posted by: Not Hungry' Boyfriend | 2004/10/09

Making yourself sick...??? NoT HuNgRy...???

Hi There Doctor

My girl like all the other girls want too loose some weight for the summer... The only bad thing about it is that she is putting her finger down her throught and vomiting after she has eaten... She does not do this often... I hope!! She bearly has an apetite anymore and eats basically once a day.

What is the consequinces of doing this? I have heard it can be quite bad! Is it addicive?

I want too give her some feedback (Received from you) that will freighten her and that will refrain her from doing this.

How can I make her stop?

Your views and feedback will be most apreciated on this subject!

Thank you! & Rgds
Frans

NHB, it is called bulimia and can cause serious problems. Bulimia nervosa is characterised by binge eating and then something to overcome the effects of the binge – vomiting, laxatives, diuretics or fasting. Whether this is done out of guilt or whether it is purely a psychological problem or whether it is a combination of the 2 is unclear. What is clear is that these people have a problem with impulse control and may be prone to drug and alcohol abuse too. It is seldom a life-threatening disease, but it can seriously affect one’s health.
It’s important that you find a way to stop doing it because soon she won’t be able to stop. You will have to ask someone close to support her through this so that when she feels guilty about having eaten too much, she can talk to them. She can also direct the negative energy into something positive like exercise. In other words, if she feels like inducing vomiting she should rather go to the gym and swim the kilojoules off. You can also contact CyberShrink for his opinion. Good luck.