Question
Posted by: jp | 2002/12/09

major chronic depression

I would like to know what type of diet to use for this type of deppression. As I am on rolab fluoxetine 20 ( 2 a day) .

Dear JP
Generally speaking you need to eat a balanced diet which contains plenty of protein (meat, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, milk) and unprocessed carbohydrates (wholewheat bread, unsifted maize meal, brown rice) to boost serotonin levels in the brain. It may help to supplement with a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn, because there is evidence that certain B vitamins can help to combat depression. Omega-3 fatty acids which can be obtained from Salmon oil capsules, omega-3 enriched eggs and milk, may also help.
Depression can cause pronounced loss of weight or overweight, so if you are underweight make an effort to eat more high-fibre foods, fruit and vegetables. If you are overweight, click on 'Diet & Food' and 'Weight Loss' to find an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet for slimming. Exercise is also beneficial as it increases production of endorphins which counteract depression, so start going for brisk walks in the fresh air or join a good gym.