Posted by: Sam | 2010/01/25

Maintenance increase?

Good afternoon. When my ex-husband and I got divorced 7 years ago, I only asked for maintenance which increases yearly by 10 % for my son, 8 years old and 50 % contribution towards school expenses. My son and I moved in with my parents and brother in a 2 bedroom house, because I wanted to be with them at that time and wanted to move out of his house urgently.
My son is growing up and we share a bedroom, but he now needs his own space, which my parents'  house can not provide. I did not ask my ex-husband for a contribution towards rent for my son then. I am considering moving out of my parents house, because it really is getting a bit crowded in there for all of us and my folks need their space too. I am considering moving into a little place of our own, just me and my son. Am I entitled to ask for my maintenance to be adjusted so that we can move out? What are my rights considering renting a place and my ex-husband contributing towards my son' s rent? Where should I start? Please help us.

Kind regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFamily law expert

Dear Sam,
Yes ceratinly you have a right to approach the maintenance court to increase the maintenance paid by your ex. Maintenance of dependant children refers to food, clothing, medical care, dental care, health care, shelter, and education. What is reasonable depends upon the circumstances of the parties in question. A good intenet page on maintenance is that of eDivorce, see,

Bertus Preller

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Sam | 2010/02/03

Thank you Mr Preller for your advice. I appreciate it.
Best regards

Reply to Sam

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.