Question
Posted by: Mrs Ex | 2004/11/15

Maintenance Court

Anyone got experience with maintenance courts? Let's say I earn 1x and hubbie earns 2,5x. We had a Rule 43 order whereby the said he must pay an amount, let's call it 1y. He has his own business, which has alot of cash, he told me (witnesses) he's declare himself insolvent before giving me money. When Rule 43 was done, his business was running as normal. He then told us he was going to get the Rule 43 reduced, we informed him he can't unless his work has changed. He's now lost his biggest contract (of his own doing) and claims to be broke. In 8 wks, he's run his business into the ground. But what about his cash for his living expenses, boys toys, weekends, entertainment, etc? What will magistrate say about this? He claims to be paying certain expenses but now after getting his bank statements, these aren't present in the b/statements. What now guys?

,,,,,

3
Posted by: Mona | 2004/11/16

I have learnt to rather take a smaller amount, than asking for a big amount and not getting it at all!

Reply to Mona
Posted by: been there done that.... | 2004/11/16

With the new law you are not allowed to attach any imovable goods ie house or land ect.
The only thing you can do is go to court they will investigate his financial status and hopefully demand a reasonable amount from him.
But one thing I have learnt is that sometimes it is getting blodd out of stone.
You can have them arrested but does that really help the kids??????????????????

Reply to been there done that....
Posted by: Carol | 2004/11/15

All I know is I eventualy went to a lawyer that cost me a fortune to sort out my maintenance problems ... I won tho .. I had his house attached and sold .. and received a tidy sum .. however he is once again late and now I have nothing left to attach .. but I have him arrested and he sits behind bars for the weekend !!!!

Reply to Carol