Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/15


Hope all is well your side.
I would like to know how I could calculate my caloric maintenance level. I know to gain or lose you'  d start with adding or deducting 500cal, etc. What I need is my maintenance level. I am a 24 year old male, 1,83m and am moderately active (gym, and various cardio, but have a desk job). I currently weigh 105kg'  s. If you dont mind, could you please give me the formula used to work it out. I'  ve searched the internet only to find that my supposed maintenance ranges from 2760cal - 3384cal. Thats somewhat of a big gap.

Thank you kindly,

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Maintenance
If your present BMI = 31,3 then you do need to reduce your present energy intake by at least 500 kcal or 2100 kJ per day. If you are a 24 year old male, your normal energy requirement would be 2900 kcal or 12200 kJ per day. So to lose weight you would need to reduce your intake to 2400 kcal or 10 000 kJ per day and keep up the exercise as often as possible. The formulas are very complex, so it is usual to use International Tables that specify the energy requirement for men and women at different ages.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.