Question
Posted by: marie | 2007/03/23

magnesium levels

Hi Doc, Can you tell me anything about magnesium levels in the blood? I have read up on it and it seems that low magnesium is bad but there's not much on high magnesium. My recent blood count showed magnesium levels "a bit high, but don't worry". I eat a healthy diet and I take a multivitamin as well as a calcium/magnesium powder at the recommended dosage. I have no stomach problems or diarrhoea (the only thing I could find associated with high magnesium). Is my doc right? Can I just ignore the fact that my magnesium is a bit high?

Dear Marie
Increased magnesium levels relate mostly to patients in renal failure. Marked increases may be found in such patients who take magnesium salts (eg, as antacids which contain magnesium). Increased serum magnesium is also found with Addison disease and in pregnant patients with severe pre-eclampsia or eclampsia who are receiving magnesium sulfate as an anticonvulsant. Hypermagnesemia may occur in patients using magnesium-containing cathartics. High magnesium levels are manifested by decreased reflexes, somnolence, and heart block. Rather stop the supplements for a while until it has normalized again?