Question
Posted by: Ivan | 2004/10/28

Mad kitten disorder

I hope you can help .. I have a 6 month old cat that is pretty hyper active. The worrying thing is ..altho she has plenty of food ... her litter tray is clean ..she has toys ..gets plenty of attention when I'm home etc .. she does this strange thing by walking away, mostly into another room and just meeows .. like in a panic.. and if shes called she some times comes , some times not. Do you think shes bored possibly? I do live on the second floor .. its a fairly big place with a balcony and she can't get outside to the ground floor altho I do take her down to the grassy area every now and then.

Hi Ivan
If your cat is not spayed she may be on heat, which does cause them to call for other cats in this way. Sterilize her as soon as possible. If she is spayed it may be that she can sense other cats in the area and is wanting company. Although many cats are quite happy to be alone with their owners and toys, some are more social. If you are wanting another cat, it may be worth trying her with a kitten or young cat - preferably male. The first few days may be a bit traumatic, but she is likely to settle in and enjoy the company.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

7
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/31

I know, they are so cute,

Mine don't know they are pets and are free but one of them, Dragon, is so tame that I play with him.

I worry myself sick if he disappears for a day but I would never cage a wild animal

Reply to Davina
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/30

Davina i love Geckos .. I have recently come down to Durbs to look for work and the pet shop here is full of them ....

Reply to carol
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/29

That why I've got dogs, geckos and rats. Far less odd, lol

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/29

He will accept another male his nose may be a bit out of joint at first but he should be ok .. cats are odd creatures tho ....I love them but they are funny things

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/29

My cat also does that hey and its weird but shes healthy.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: K | 2004/10/29

Carol, on the subject of 'chatty cats', my 18 month old male has been neutered and now spends so much time at home either driving me insane by dashing around like a mad thing or meowing, rubbing himself against me, putting his head in my hand so I get the message etc. Do you think he would adapt to a new kitten and if so, do you think he would accept another male?

Reply to K
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/28

Watch that she isnt on heat ... has she been spayed yet ??

If she has she is just looking for company all my cats are the chatty type ... consider a buddy for her ?

Reply to Carol