Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2007/03/05

Macaw won't wean

Hi, I bought my husband a Blue & Gold Macaw that was supposedly weaned. He was 16 weeks old. He is now about 26 weeks old and wont go off the porridge. He was getting it morning and night but now only at night. He nibbles a bit on other food, but holds out until his porridge feed at night, and starts screaming for it when we walk in the door. He always has fruit, red pellets, seed, and water in his cage and at night we also give him some of our food like rice and veggies with a bit of meat/chicken and gravy. We give the cooked food to him before the porridge but he only eats a little bit. He knows that the porridge will come. Is he just spoiled and in a bad habit, should we just stop the poridge or should we just be patient???

Where are you situated?

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/03/05

Lots of info here:

www followed by: parrotpro.com/macped.htm

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/03/05

A macaw at that age is far too young to be fully weaned ...... where did you get him from...... I can actually feel myself getting the hell in reading this !!!!!

Give him his porridge three times daily as much as he will eat ... he will stop when he is ready ..... and if I were you I would get him to an avian vet to make sure he is gaining weight properly ......

my grey is nearly 7 months and still wants his porridge apart from the nutrition involved its an important bonding ritual.

Some breeders and petshops should be shot!!!! they force wean babies and then wonder why there are problems later . Baby birde weaning is a vital stage in their emotional development.

Sorry about losing my cool but i see far too much of this type of thing .

I can never understand why petshps and breeders simply dont do their jobs properly ..im sure you paid a small fortune for your B&G the least they could have done was abundance wean him .

If you like email me at carolm1 at telkomsa dot net and I can help you more .

Reply to Carol