Posted by: WILLIE | 2009/09/23


My medical fund declines to pay for Lyrica prescribed by an Urologist. The Lyrica suppresses the neurological pain that I am experiencing as a result of numerous nerves that were severed / damaged during the removal of a cancerous prostate and lymph nodes. Can you possibly recommend a substitute for Lyrica in order to relieve me from the burden of paying myself ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Willie

Although Lyrica is the only specialist-drug for neuropathic pain, your doctor does have other treatment options. Unfortunately none of these are generics of Lyrica (there are none) and will require a NEW prescription from your doctor before you'd be able to buy it. My suggestion would be to call your doctor and explain that the medical aid does not pay for lyrica. Ask him to fax you a prescription for an alternative. All the best!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.