Question
Posted by: megan | 2004/10/20

Lymph Noids

About 2 months ago we noticed a bean shaped lump in my 8 year old neck. My doctor treated it with antibiotics and nothing changed. 4 weeks later we did a full blood count and the results we fine. Another 4 weeks went by and I took him to a surgeon. He went for a chest xray, which was clear. He also went for an abdominal scan. Everything was clear except they say his spleen is slightly enlarged (10.5 cm's). The surgeon says that we just need to monitor him for 3 months and then redo the tests.

I need to know what is the spleen for and what is the average size supposed to be for an 8 year old?

My son often gets pains in his legs and headaches could this be related?

Thanking you

Megan

Megan, by structure and function the spleen is like two organs--an immune one, the white pulp, consisting of periarterial lymphatic sheaths and germinal centers, and a phagocytic one, the red pulp, consisting of macrophages and granulocytes lining vascular spaces (the cords and sinusoids).The white pulp generates protective humoral antibodies. Production and maturation of B and T cells and plasma cells also occur in the white pulp, as in other lymphoid organs. The red pulp removes unwanted particulate matter (eg, bacteria, senescent blood elements). Hematopoiesis, another function of red pulp, normally occurs in the spleen only during fetal life.

I have no idea what the size of a spleen in an 8 year old is supposed to be, but 10.5 cm doesn’t sound like a problem.

The enlarged lymph node (and spleen) might be due to an infection and the body pains might also be due to an infection. The best would be to wait 3 months and see if everything doesn’t clear up by itself. Good luck.