Question
Posted by: LS | 2003/12/22

Lying on your back during pregnancy???

Hi All

I read an article that it's not safe for baby for mommy to lie on her back, I did'nt think it was serious but i find myself waking up at night lying on my back and am not sure how long i have been in that position for. What are the actual dangers and how long is too long to be lying on your back??

Thanks and a merry christmas to you all!!!

If you are more than about 20 weeks pregnant, lying on your back can cause the uterus to compress your large blood vessels and impede blood flow to the fetus. Try propping yourself on your side with pillows.

2
Posted by: LS | 2003/12/22

Thank you Kate!!!

Reply to LS
Posted by: Kate | 2003/12/22

Don't stress about it. You are probably waking up because it is slightly uncomfortable. You body will tell you when you need to move. Not lying on your back has something to do with blocking blood flow to your baby. But your body will warn you when you do this.

If I lie down on the couch and am not propped up enough, my chest feels very tight and I usually have to sit up some more. I also wake up after sleeping on my back, I then turn onto my side to be more comfortable.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Just listen to your body when it tells you that it is uncomfortable.

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate