Question
Posted by: PG Lady | 2004/11/08

Lying on Your Back

I am a bit concerned, I had a facial done on Saturday and part of it involved lying flat on my back. I am 20 weeks pregnant and I read that you should not lie on your back as you can cut the blood supply off to the baby. I have now noticed that i haven't had any movement or "bubbles" since Saturday and i am worried that i may have done some harm to the baby from that lying on my back either suffocated him or brain damaged him?? What do you think??

I doubt that lying on your back for a little while would have amde a difference. However, if you are feeling no movements at all, you should call your doctor.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/08

Just for reassurance, why not phone your gynae and arrange for a scan.

At 20 weeks, I'm sure 20 minutes of lying on your back won't have done harm. Did you feel breathless during this time? Generally, at the stage when lying flat on your back is harmful, you feel very breathless and uncomfortable on your back which forces you to change position. In a first pregnancy, you are generally only just shoing at 20 weeks, and some people aren't even feeling any movement yet.

This evening when you are quiet and in bed, drink something icy cold and full of sugar and caffeine (like a coke). (1 coke is not going to harm your baby, I promise!!) The combination of cold, sugar and caffeine should get baby moving around.

Movements are still so gentle and bubble like at 20 weeks though, that you often miss them. At about 24 weeks, baby kicks strongly and will push your tummy out with kicks, so movement is much easier to detect then.

Phone your gynae though and go in, otherwise you will just sit and worry until your next appointment.

Reply to Purple