Question
Posted by: Blaah | 2008/01/29

Lycan Swollen Gland under jowls/jaw

what could make my male neutered (almost a year old) labXchowXalsation's glands (i think it is his glands) under his bottom jaw swell

i was petting Lycan last night and started rubbing his cheeks and i felt a lump/swelling under his jaw at the back by where the bottom jaw reaches the upper jaw when inspecting the other side that side was swollen as well
i massaged the area and he did not seem to mind infact he seemed to enjoy it

i have read that this is where the adrenal glands are and should be massaged occasionally to help prevent build up of the hormone especially in hyper/agressive dogs if you can
i do massage this area occasionally (when i remember and have to admit i don't do it very often) with all my dogs but have never felt them swollen

anyway
i have also read that labs are prone to mandibular osteopathy, but when i tried to open his mouth he did not complain and didn't seem to be in any discomfort except the obvious dislike of having his mouth pried open.

i found no stings, or anything obstructing his mouth or injury
he is drinking water and so far eating

he is a clutz, and i have read that head injuries (which for lycan is possible as he runs into everything and bumps his head all the time) could cause swelling in the jaw, but the location and the fact that it is both sides doesn't seem to fit that cause.

his tongue was a bright red last night
but has returned back to colour this morning
his gums were normal and still are

he was a little miff last night, but nothing unusual (hubby was swatting mozzies and Lycan doesn't like it when hubby is running around attacking insects) and seems himself this morning

anyway if the swelling remains till later this afternoon (it has gone down a bit) i will take him to the vet or if his condition changes off we go

i was just wondering what else might cause this

thanks

The adrenal gland is next to the kidney "ad" next to "renal" kidney. There are salivary glands and lymphnodes where you describe the swelling. It is important to differentiate them as enlarged salivary glands may not be a problem (salivary gland inflammation is usually very painful) but enlarged lymphnodes may well be a problem. Please have your vet check him over and let us know what he finds. Thanks.

1
Posted by: Beauty | 2008/06/24

I have a 2yrs 5months old child. She 's got allergy , still not sure of what. Please advice. Recently she gets swollen under her ear and the doctor says it's swollen gland, please advice me what the cause of this and how can i overcome this?

Reply to Beauty