Question
Posted by: mollie | 2006/11/15

Lupus - miscariddge

Morning Doc,

I think I could have Lupus, thats why I have these recurrent miscarridges. What can I do about this???

Please advise

Mollie

Dear Mollie

The positive lupus anticoagulant factor is of concern especially as a cause of implantation failure and recurrent pregnancy losses. It is also associated with toxaemia and hypertension of pregnancy and therefore appropriate steps should be taken to manage this problem accordingly. From a fertility stand point we would recommend the use of low dose cortisone combined with low dose aspirin commencing shortly before implantation i.e. after ovulation and to be maintained through most of the first trimester at least. The other level that is of concern is the high insulin level and this can be easily managed with diet and/or glucophage treatment.