Question
Posted by: Candace | 2005/12/01

Lupus and Prednisone

I'm on 5ml of prednisone for the past year for my lupus i have gained 10 kgs. I have been gyming for about 3mnths. I eat moderately. Can you advise me what to do to lose the weight i have gained. Medication, a certain diet, see a special doctor...please anything that can help weight loss and weight control. Thankyou

Dear Candace,
The prednisone can theoretically make you pick up weight but you are on a very low dose. I would suggest that you first follow a healthy diet - something like Weigh less, keep going with the exercise - at least 30 min per day for 5 days, rather measure yourself than weigh (as muscle can weigh as much as fat but is better for your metabolism.) You did not give your age - if you are around 45 years you need to go for Gyne check-up to see if all the hormones are working OK. Ask your doctor to check your thyroid as well.