Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2008/01/17

Lupus

My husband was diagnosed with Lupus 3 months ago. He has 4 of the eleven symptoms and is currently on antimalarials, cortisone and anti inflammatories. THe specialist for this disease which as far as I know is the only 1 of 2 in kwazulu natal charges exhorbitant fees and an eighth of this is covered by medical aid. Regular blood tests, specialist visits, medication that medical aid does not cover everything, with that the rising costs of living expenses and we now have to try and live functional lives and stop my husband stressing because that just aggrevates his disease condition. So what do we do, we look to our life policy at the dread disease section. ONly to be told that he does not qualify for any payout because his lupus does not affect an organ, but with saying that the policy states that the only lupus that is excluded is that of discoid lupus, I have done my homework and discoid lupus only affects the skin, my husband cannot function if he misses having his antimalarials or cortisone tablets each and every morning because of the pain in his joints, so please can you advise me are the joints in the body not considered as musco skeletal or considered as an organ. I do realise that insurance companies like to cover their backsides whereever they can but are they justified in saying that joints are not an organ in the body as as I have said the insurance policy we have states they only dont cover discoid lupus. Please advise if you have any advise how we can get them to pay out.

Hallo Maggie
Joints are unfortunately not regarded as organs (which would be heart, liver, kidneys)
You can:
Write a motivation letter to the board, get supportive documentation from your doctor.
Find out from university of Kwazulu Natal if there isn't one of the consultant specialists that also has a private practice and may be cheaper?
There are actually 7 doctors that will also be able to treat his condition: shop around a bit?
Cassim, Bilkish Rheumatologist Congella 031 260 4740
Maharaj, Ajesh B Rheumatologist Westville 031 265 4897
Mody, Girish M Rheumatologist Umbilo 031 260 4284
Naidoo, Premilla D Rheumatologist Musgrave 031 201 6987
Nayiager, Savithree Rheumatologist Glenwood 031 202 5750
Paruk, Farhanah Rheumatologist Umbilo 031 260 4238
Patel, Neeta Rheumatologist Umbilo 031 260 4238

1
Posted by: Letisia | 2008/02/08

Just want to know if there are any Lupus-specialists in Bloemfontein?

Reply to Letisia