Question
Posted by: Inquisitive | 2003/03/10

Lupus

Hi Doc.
How would you find out if you have Lupus or not. Is it through a simple blood test? What symptoms to sufferers suffer from?

Inquisitive, it is done by clinical examination and blood tests. The most common symptoms include fever, joint pain and a typical skin rash. If you’re interested in more information, mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll “cut ‘n paste” you something. Good luck.

1
Posted by: lupus sufferer | 2003/03/14

I was diagonised with lupus (SLE) about 3 years ago. Yes it is only detected in the blood. They say this disease is very difficult to pick up as there are so many symptoms. You get headaches, chest pains, rashes, stomach problems, joint pains etc. I apparently had it for years and becuase I always suffered with pains in my wrist over the years different doctors just injected cortisone, some even said I had carpal tunnel and wanted to operate. It is only until one doctor decided to investigate further and recommended I contact a pulmologists and for the past three years I see him every quarter and this has helped a great deal. I am on chronic medication and this has reduced my symptoms. When I was diagnosed I was so shocked as I never heard about this but it is a manageable disease. The only thing is that I get very tired so rest is important.
All the best.

Reply to lupus sufferer