Posted by: Mom | 2009/05/28

Lump/boney obtrusion on back of wrist

My 16 year old daughter has a lump on the back of her wrist, it almost looks as though a bone may be in the wrong place! Do I take her to a orthopedic surgeon, or a hand specialist? Thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Mom
It is probably a ganglion cyst that usually occurs on the tendons attached to the little joints in the hands or feet bones. It is totally benign and in the old days people believed that bumping the lump with a heavy book like the Bible ruptured the cyst and the fluid was then absorbed into the surrounding tissue. It usually is asymptomatic, but can also be painful. The cyst can be managed by aspiration with a needle or excision of the cyst - it can however recur.
Take her to your GP for an evaluation and he can then refer her if necessary. Sometimes the ganglions also disappear on their own.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.