Question
Posted by: sophie | 2004/03/04

lump under arm

I'm a 19 year old medical student. I have developed a lump under my arm in the last few days. Initially I thought it was a spot, so I messed with it. Now it has become red and swollen and it moves. I have been feeling run down recently and I am due to have a period. I am beginning to think it's a gland, but could it be cancerous?

Sophie, I doubt that it is cancerous, but it might be the beginning of an abscess. The best would be to apply an antibacterial ointment and to leave it alone. If it becomes worse, the best would be to see a doctor. Good luck.