Question
Posted by: jess | 2007/03/13

lump on my wrist

I have a very big lump on my right wrist . In the beginning it would appear for a couple of days, then dissappear for some weeks and so on . This has been going for nearly 3 yrs , I'm very worried because lately it has reappeared permanantley , cos it is not going down and some days it really pains and I often feel like chopping it off . it is also very embarrasing cos I have small wrists cos I'm tiny and so I have the wrist bones sticking out on the outerside of my wrists and my right hand has what looks like 2 bones sticking out and the abnormal 1 is quite big and ugly

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Jess
It sounds as if you have something we call a ganglion- this is a sac-like swelling containing tissue that lines the tendons or joints. It is totally benign and usually painless, although they can become painful with time.
Sometimes they rupture spontaneously and go away. It can also be removed by means of a needle aspiration and in some cases it can be removed surgically.
It seems as if it is quite bothersome and I suggest you go to your doctor to have it checked out and to also make sure exactly what it is.