Posted by: Judy | 2008/08/26

Lump in back

I have a lump in my lower back, almost near the bones by your backside. It doesn' t feel like a knot. It' s almost soft and when I touch it it moves around. I' m a bit worried about it and would like to see a doc but not sure what type of doc to go to. My medical aid is finished so don' t want to waste money being referred from one doc to the next. Any idea what it could be and what type of doc to go and see. It' s a little bit smaller than a 50 cent piece. My back has also started aching a bit.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hi Judy
If it is movable ( feels like a firm nodule that you can move under the skin ) it probably is a lipoma, a harmless tumour of fat tissue. The pain is probably not due to this as they normally cause no symptoms. Your GP can have a look as it is rarely needed to remove this.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.