Question

Lump and pill

Dear Doc;

I would really value your input. I have a benign breast lump and when discovered the dr took me off the pill. I am however getting married and would like to go back on. Are there any dangers or type of pill that I need to take. I also am scared of putting on weight before my wedding - Pls advise a suitable pill /other.
If anybody else has had similar experiences pls share!
Thanks!

Dear Anon
A lump in the breast is not a contraindication for using the pill, especially if it is a clinically benign lump - one can always have a sonar or needle biopsy if you are unsure. There may be other factors that the doctor is taking into consideration in his decision - like a family history of breastcancer, high bloodpressure, a tendency to form clots etc. Ask him about it? Alternatively see a gyne, for a proper gyne examination and let her/him then discuss the different kind of contraception that you will be able to use, whether the injection, an IUD, the Mirena or the pill. I can't decide which pill you should take as one should examine the patient and take an in depth health history before making that decision.