Question
Posted by: SP | 2006/07/14

Lump after Umbilical Hernia Op

I had an operation about 2 months ago, and I still experience slight pain/twinges in the op area. I also have little bump in my navel that looks like part of the hernia (or is this swelling that will eventually go down or is it permanent). The scar is a bit raised and red. Is this normal??

I would like to start planning for another baby in September, would it be wise to do this???

Dear SP
Such a scar can be tender for up to 18 mo after an operation. However, the bump and redness could signify infection - let your GP just have a look at the area. I'll wait at least 6 months before getting pregnant as the area needs time to grow strong tissue first - otherwise you are just going to develop another hernia and have to go through all this again!