Question
Posted by: Cassy | 2004/10/07

Lumbar Laminectomy

3 weeks ago my mother underwent a lumbar laminectomy & she's recuperating very well. She would like to know more about the necessary precautions .i.e the do's & don'ts after the surgery

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Cassy
do's and dont's after surgery are very individual but basically she should not lift heavy objects and remember to bend her knees whenever she needs to bend down. No jarring/stretching exercises at this point in time should be done. I presume she has had some physiotherapy after the operation. If not I suggest she asks the doctor who performed the operation to refer her to someone for the correct posture and back strengthening exercises.