Question
Posted by: Ang | 2005/07/22

Lowish carbo style diet

Hi Doc,
I know you dont agree with low carb diets like atkins but high carb diets dont seem to work for me - they make me retain water. I have read your articles and I agree that high fat/ protein is not so good so I am not following atkins but made up my own one which seems to be working for me. I just wanted your opionion. I eat bulgarian yogurt and an apple/ any fresh frut in the morning (I eat the yoghurt for the calcium) and in the afternoon I have a piece of chicken and a salad/ cooked ham and salad/ tuna with a little mayo and salad and a fruit. In the evening I have meat and veg like squashie/ spinach/ another green salad/ mushrooms/ pumkin/ basically any vegie except mielies and potatoe. Can this really be that unhealthy? I of course dont eat sugar or any cake with flour or pasta/ bread/ rice. If I feel like sweet things I eat a guava or strawberries. I also have not cut out milk - I have milk in my tea.

Dear Ang
The diet you describe is not actually devoid of carbohydrates which are supplied by the fruit. The Atkins diet makes you cut out practically all fruit and also all dairy products and consists only of meat, fish, eggs, cream, mayonnaise, and the very-low-carb vegs like lettuce. Make sure that you have at least 3 helpings of fat-free milk or dairy products a day (your yoghurt and the milk in tea plus another cup) to ensure that you get about 1000 mg of calcium a day - to prevent osteoporosis later in life. Otherwise your diet is not so bad, but also select the leanest meat you can find and cut off all visible fat otherwise your saturated fat intake will be too high and that is harmful to blood cholesterol levels and certain types of cancer.

3
Posted by: Science | 2005/07/26

Where is the fibre in your diet to prevent colon problems and cancer? for the rest it sounds fine, but a fruit or two might also be a good idea.

Reply to Science
Posted by: Kabous | 2005/07/25

Correction doc. The Atkins diet allow cheese and cottage cheese. The only veg that is excluded (for the first week or so) is carrots and green beans.(not sure why) The rest are all allowed provided you do not add butter and suger when having squash and pumpkin.

Reply to Kabous
Posted by: mims | 2005/07/22

would also like to hear the reply to this, have same problem. Surely if in a day i have muesli for breakfast and for lunch a wholewheat seeded roll this is enough carbs for the day? or not ? the other meals will then be protein, veg and salad but definetely no bad fats like atkins, doc pls advise?

Reply to mims