Question
Posted by: Jogger | 2003/02/20

Lower leg ache

Hi Doc.

I experience a dull ache in my lower left leg after I jog. Its difficult to localise the ache, but its around the calf area. The ache takes a day or two to disappear. I injured my knee about two yrs ago when I was jogging on the treadmill at the gym. I have'nt run on a treadmill since. Do you think it could be my knee acting up again? It does'nt feel like it though.

What exactly is causing the problem and how can I remedy it?
I hope you can help - I really enjoy running and dont want to give it up.

Hi jogger

Considering, it's the calf area, it doesn't seem to be your knee playing up; it could just be a calf strain. I would recommend you stretch the calf well before you start running (and in fact on a daily basis).

I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will find many, many stretches. If you prefer a home-based programme, then log onto the same site but go into the fitness section and you'll find "Shape up for Summer" - again there is a full stretching programme here.

Also look at your running shoes- are they providing adequate shock absorption?

If stretching and appropriate shoes don't solve the problem, yo might need to see a sports physician to identify the cause of the problem.

Good luck.