Question
Posted by: Mike | 2007/12/09

Lower back pain - Kidneys?

Hi Doc. I'm experiencing quite sever lower back pain usually at night & when I wake up in the mornings. No problems with passing urine, pain usually diminishes as the day starts up and I get moving about. Seems to be mainly nights and early morning. Used to drink heavily but have stopped completely for several months now. I drink only water - usually carbonated at the moment. Have tried urinary alkalaniser but not a noticeable improvment. Have had addiction issues in the past & wondered if I could have done any damage previously?
Thanks.

Dear Mike
It may be muscle or spine related. The most common cause of lower backpain is what we call "mechanical backache" which is caused by bad posture, strain on the muscles or spine. If the pain spreads down the legs, it could be due to compression of nerves in the spine. see www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003108.htm