Question
Posted by: Jinx | 2004/01/26

Lower Back pain- causes and healing

Hi there Doc,
My boyfriend has had lower back pain for a while now (since playing rugby at school 3 yrs ago), he says it feels squooshy, spongy and piercing pain when i press on the actual dorsil part of the 2 or 3 vertebrae just above the coccyx.It also feels compressed, and tries to click that part of his back to release the pain but its difficult to do so because its at the end of his spine. He thinks it might have to do with his tight hamstrings (from playing sport).Plese tell give me some kind of exercise or tell me how to push on it to help or what i should be doing. Thanks so much.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Jinx
Get him doing rotations which may help click his spine, but more important than where to push is to get him to strengthen his abdominals which will support the "Squooshy" bits. He can exercise, and you can do reflex activation by rubbing up his inner thigh - if he does not really dislike you doing this you are not doing it right.
Douglas