Question
Posted by: Janice | 2007/05/21

Lower back pain and ulcer?

Dear Doctor

I've been treated for an ulcer on and off for a year now.
Persistant symptoms include lower stomach cramps, 'eating' feeling in stomach, refluz, and most often - very bad lower back pain (similar to when you get a stomach bug infection).
Is it normal to get lower back pain with ulcers?
I'm back on omaprazole again and avoiding the trigger foods but it does't seem to be getting better.
Any advice?

Many Thanks
Janice

Dear janice
Yes it is normal to get back pain - the nerve that supplies the stomach "refers" to the back. Have you been to a gastroenterologist, you may have infection with Helibacter pylori and need antibiotics too?

2
Posted by: CD again | 2007/05/22

Hi Janice
The last option could be to get a vagotomy where they sever the nerve that stimulates acid formation - just if no medication helps at all. Hope you can sort this out ! CD

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Janice | 2007/05/22

Thanks Doc.
I have been checked for the Pylori so it's not that.
Thanks, your response has been very helpful.

Reply to Janice