Question
Posted by: Mary_Ann | 2007/03/22

Lower Back pain and exercise

hi there fitness doc

i am about to embark on a weight training program, however i injured my back years ago, had an operation, and still suffer from lower back pain now and again. What exercises should i avoid, to prevent injury? and what other weight training exercises do u recomend?

Thanx
mary-ann Vd Post

Hi Mary Ann

I hate to pass the buck, but you need to see a consultant in the gym who can advise you first hand on the exercises you should avoid, and more importantly, the correct technique to use for the ones you can do. Any exercise, provided you do it correctly, should be OK, because you wouldn't load the back. For example, doing a squat may be incredibly dangerous, or it may be 100% safe, all depending on your technique. Same goes for leg press, bench press, lunges, you name it. So it's most important that you are assessed and advised before you start this training programme.