Question
Posted by: Wrecked | 2006/01/21

Lower back and left side pelvis pain after hysterectomy

Hysterectomy - I had the op a few months ago as a result of fybroids - since 3 weeks after that I have been plagued with extreme pain under the scar area and in my SI joint / lower back area.This always occurrs when I stand still - the pain is so severe at times that I break-out in a sweat and it is agony to sit back down again - however when I have sat DOWM FOR A WHILE IT DISAPPEARS WITHOUT PAIN-KILLERS. My Gynae says the ultrasound shows nothingobvious and the pain could be nerve related as the nerve-bundle running down my leg is close to the scar. The Arthopaedic Surgeon says the MRI and bone scan show "hot - spots" in my SI joint and between L4/5 and C2/3 as well as degeneration.I have had a facet-block in both lower back areas but no significant change . Then the Rheumatoligist says I have spondyloarthropy(positive HLA B27 blood-test) and so I have been taking Salzasopyrin for 4 months now - Still No Improvement - I am really feeling desperate - I am sure that all this medication cannot be very good for my body. Maybe I just need to wait a bit longer - I am however now wondering if I should perhaps have my lower Colon checked or see a Neurologist - something is VERY painful when I stand - it just seems to co-incidental that all of this started after a hystorectomy and is on the same side as the large fybroid was. Also the scar is still red on the left side only. Just to add to this ridiculous saga - I also have had extreme proplems with my left arm for the exact same time period - cannot lift it higher than my shoulder and lots of pain in my leftshoulder - maybe I got dropped off the operating table!!!! It may seem hard to believe after reading the above but I was a very healthy 40 year old until a few months ago. I eagerly await an opinion.

The only connection that I can make between the hysterectomy and your symptoms is that you may have been laid down in a position which caused strain on your back. The pain near your scar could be due to pressure on a nerve in that area and might possibly respond to injection of local anaesthetic to the area. The back pain tretament will have to be handled by a orthopaedic surgeon/rheumatologist. There is no harm in having your colon checked out.

1
Posted by: Wrecked | 2006/01/26

I think I have finally got the answer as to the connection to my hystorectomy-as stated I have had the blood test for the gene HLAB27 which was positive. The gene is apparently activated during an excessive drop in oestregen levels - this occurred 3 weeks after I had both ovaries removed resulting in extremely painful joints in neck, back and SI joint. The connection was not apparent as the Rheumotoligist was not aware I had had my ovaries removed and I did not know what activated the gene.A simliar,but not as extreme version occrred fter my first pregnancy -
I was then told Ihad yuppie flu. I am now on a course of the Salzsopyrine for 4 more months and then a maintenance dose and hopefully this will get rid of the arthritis type bacteria.

Reply to Wrecked