Question
Posted by: JO | 2008/01/16

Low White Blood Cells

My husband has not been feeling well for many months now, flu like syptoms. Eventually I convinced him to see a doctor. The blood tests came back today and the doctor has said his white blood cell count is very high. My husband does not have a spleen either. He has regular hot and cold flushes with pain throughout his body. He is a smoker and I am very concerned about Lung Cancer or any other cancer. We are seeing a specialist at the end of the month, but I am very scared at the moment and need advice. Are we looking at a general infection or something more serious?

Dear Jo
He may have an infection, is he being treated in the mean time? I think if your doctor suspected cancer he would have made an urgent appointment for your husband at the specialist.
dr Bets