Question
Posted by: Romeo | 2007/02/24

Low testosterone levels

I just want to enquire what is the cause of low testosterone levels. I am 34 years old and am a non-smoker and non-drinker.

I usually have poor sperm counts and I was referred for a testosterone test.

My level was only 5.0 (range 9.9-27).

Dear Romeo

There may well be a malfunction in the so-called leydig cells of the testes, which may interfere with testosterone production. Alternately if you are on steroids either for health reasons or for performance enhancing, this may also impede testosterone production. However, testosterone levels are known to fluctuate and therefore one should consider repeating the blood tests several times before making a definite diagnosis.