Question
Posted by: Depressed & Desperate | 2006/04/03

Low Sperm Count

Hi Doc,

My fiance and I have been trying to fall pegnant for the past 3 years. He is 29 and I'm 24. We've seen 4 different gynea's in the past 2 years and recently went to a fertility clinic. Various tests were done on me, including a laparoscopy and they all say I'm fine. I was then put on Clomid, which I did and first time I missed my ovulation date. My fiance did a sperm test after that and it revealed that his sperm count is 8 mill (which is apparently well below average). The clinic performed an AIH nevertheless, even though they collected 4 mill sperms only. I missed my period by 5 days (and obviously was very hopeful) but I have since had my period.

We are extremely desperate to have a child. What can we do that won't cost R16000 (IVF).

Please help.

Regards,
9D&D

Dear Depressed and desperate

I would like to know what the percentage morphology(percentage normal sperm heads) is. Should the morphology be not less than 8% I would suggest you continue trying with intra uterine inseminations for atleast another 3 or 4 attempts before advancing to IVF.