Question
Posted by: HK | 2005/12/05

Low sperm count

I have a low sperm count and also too many abnormal sperms. We are trying to conceive the natural way as far as possible. What are the alternative methods for us given my condition.
I am also informed that I should consume folic acid and zinc to remedy my condition and give up smoking. Will giving up smoking help? I smoke about 10 - 12 cigarettes a week.
Waht can I do to remedy this condition?

Dear HK

The advise that you have been given is correct and the supplementation is approriate. However, I do not believe that smoking is a major contributory factor in your case as the quantity smoked is not excessive.
I would like to have more information on the actual sperm count parameters and the morphology parameters to give you a more educated and informative response.

3
Posted by: HK | 2005/12/08

Thanks Angie for the informative advice. I will post more details regarding my semen analysis soon. Thanks again.

Reply to HK
Posted by: HK | 2005/12/08

Reply to HK
Posted by: Angie | 2005/12/05

Hello HK
Sorry to butt in but just wanted to share an "experiment" I did on my hubby (sounds terrible I know). Anyway he had a good sperm count and average motility but not a good morphology (abnormal sperm). He started taking Staminogro and then changed to the viatamin for men and he cut down his smoking down to only on "weekends" when he has a beer or two (then because of the rugby.....). Well, when we had our next IUI five months later his morpology had gone from 40% TO 60%. So bascially lifestyle definitely has an effect. My fertility nurse said that a man TTCing shouldnt drink more that 4 beers a weekend. Other tips for you are: dont have hot showers (neither of you); tell your wife to cut down on caffeine although it is ok for you (apparently they make the little guys swim). And basically try and live healthily - at least in moderation. Good luck and if you would like to chat to other people with fertiliy problems go to the fertility chat room - you learn loads there too.

Reply to Angie